Connect With Me:

Sunday, August 5, 2012

DIY Bookcase Makeover



If I could recommend a particular furniture piece that would benefit almost every type of lifestyle, it would be to buy inexpensive bookcases. Over the last 10 years, I have lugged four bookcases around to fit into houses and apartments. I used them for everything from storing books to kitchen items to shoes!

Let's take a quick look down memory lane...




These bookcases originally cost about $20 each and were purchased from Wal-mart.

Sometimes, I have used all four in one room, other times I broke them up and used them in pairs or individually. In the pictures above, they are in their original condition. The picture on the left has the bookcases storing kitchen ware. The picture on the right uses one in a living room. Another trick for adding storage is to use storage boxes for small items like the light blue ones here. These were both taken in a 500 square foot duplex located in Houston's Historic Woodland Heights. Let's just say, with 500 square feet, there was not room for even a desk! I used the coffee table for crafting and the bookcases to store all of my supplies!


Here is another way I used two of the bookcases in a different house. This house was over 2400 square feet and let's just say I didn't have enough furniture to fill every single room. I had to spread things out and float items in the middle of the room to fill the space! For this example, I used two bookcases and placed a large mirror in between to take up the entire wall.

Well, now the four bookshelves live in my dining room. They line an entire wall and I decided it was time for them to make a bigger impact. About 2 hours later I had a whole new look! Just in time to host my daughter's 3rd birthday party!


Materials Needed:
  • Elmer's glue ($2)
  • Empty bottle with a lid/jar (Free)
  • Paint brush (from $1 store)
  • Scissors
  • Wrapping paper of your choice ($4 per roll)
Directions:
  1. First cut the wrapping paper to fit the inside of the back each bookcase.
  2. Mix up your paste - 1 part glue to 1 part water. Shake the mixture.
  3. Using a paintbrush, lightly brush the glue mixture onto the backside of the paper.
  4. Then, starting at one corner, start applying the paper to the backside of the shelf. 
  5. Go around the edges by painting more glue to ensure corners are attached to the back of the bookcase.
  6. Let it dry for 24 hours, before putting items back and add more adhesive if needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment