Connect With Me:

Saturday, August 4, 2012

DIY No Sew Pillows


Today I am posting a project that took about an hour. I found this dress at a place in Austin, TX called The Blue Hanger. It's a place to buy Goodwill items for $1.25. The zipper was made out of plastic and malfunctioned. What I liked the most about the dress was the adorable floral print. Instead of replacing the zipper, I decided it was time to re purpose this dress into pillows. I used minimal items to create these and it took about an hour for both of them from start to finish!

Materials Needed:

  • Dress (This one is a size 3 I think) $1.25
  • Scissors 
  • Needle and Thread
  • Stitch Witch: $5
  • Fabric of your choice (1/2 yard per pillow) 
  • Pillow stuffing (About $4 for a bag at Wal-mart) or two old throw pillows





This dress had seams.
 Before I started cutting, I decided that I wanted the seam to be the center of the pillow. 



I started at the back of the dress where the zipper was and cut the dress up the back seam.


 Then I cut the top of the dress off.


Now I folded the dress so that I could see the inside of the fabric or the wrong side.


I had an old pillow case from Ikea so I used it as a pattern and traced the shape onto the fabric.


Cut the two squares out.
Then, cut a piece of fabric for the backside of the pillow. 
I chose to use scraps from a piece I bought years ago. 
You need about 1/2 yard for each pillow.


Use the original piece you cut for the front side of the pillows as a template to cut the back side.


Now, here's the fun part. Starting with one of the sides of the pillow, carefully lay the Stitch Witch along the top side.


Carefully, pull off the paper.


Then, line the floral piece of fabric and iron! 
(I held mine for about 20 seconds, but read the package of the bonding element)


Repeat on two more sides


For the final side, you are going to need to finish the edges. I folded the end over about the width of the stitch witch to form a hem.


Sandwich the Stitch Witch inside and iron!


Repeat with the other side of the pillow.


Below is a close up after I folded the top of the fabric over the Stitch Witch and pressed.


We are almost done.... Now you have to flip the pillow cover right side out!


Stuff the pillow and carefully sew the fourth side with a simple needle and thread. 



There you have it! New pillows in just a few minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment