Connect With Me:

Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Chevron Wall Art

I am currently working on re decorating my master bedroom. I decided to start with an item I love, a beautiful silver quilt. Also, my husband brought the bed and I had two other pieces I knew I would be refinishing. Specifically, I had plans to paint them. There have been so many fabulous Pins on Pinterest, so I looked to use a Chevron theme based on some of the pictures I have seen. Today's Blog is all about the art I created and hung above the bedroom. I will continue sharing other projects in the coming weeks and then a full room tour at the conclusion. Here is a picture of its current progress:


Today I am going to show you how to make the art. Here is a picture of the original panels:


Materials Needed:
  • 1 yard of fabric ($10/yard)
  • 2 poster frames ($8/each x 2 = $16)
  • Duct tape ($3)
  • Painter's tape ($6 for a roll)
  • Craft paint ($1 for both colors) 
  • Paint brush ($1 from dollar store
Total Time: 1 hour

I used about a yard of fabric. These two fabric panels have been a part of my life for about 5 years now. I bought them back in college and used as a floating headboard. Below is a picture of the contemporary fabric. The fabric was found in the Home Decor fabric section of Hobby Lobby and cost about $10/yard. The frames were purchased at Target. They are poster frames and cost be less than $20 for both of them.


After framing the fabric by securing the backside with duct tape Duck Brand Color Duck Tape Black, 1.88" x 20 yd., 1/pk. (Google Affiliate Ad). I flipped it over and used painter's tape Scotch Blue Painter's Tape, 1" W (Google Affiliate Ad) to protect the edges of the frame. Then I carefully cut strips of painter's tape and laid them into a chevron detail. I eye balled the design, but you are welcome to use a ruler and actually measure off the points to make them more even.


I painted two rows of a sunny yolk yellow and one row a pale pastel yellow. I let one coat dry and then went back to give it a second coat.


Once the paint was dry, I slowly peeled off the tape and voila! Art!


Bedrooms have many lateral surfaces, so I hung the frames above the bed to create a vertical focal point and take advantage of 10 ft walls. 


To keep me motivating through all of my crafty projects, I love to drink Keurig K-Cup Green Mountain Dark Magic Extra Bold Coffee, Regular, 18- (Google Affiliate Ad) out of my Keurig Special Edition Coffee Brewer (Google Affiliate Ad) that my sister-in-law bought us for Christmas. One of the best gifts I have ever received. Using a Keurig makes my life simpler and I noticed my kitchen is more tidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment